The Wi-Fi Hotspot transforms your BMW into a mobile hotspot: thanks to high-speed data transmission and stable reception, you and your companions can use wireless Internet in your BMW just like you do at home or in the office. Whether you’re streaming music or your travelling companions are surfing the Internet, writing e-mails or taking part in video conferences, the Wi-Fi Hotspot links you reliably to the Internet with LTE speed – even during the journey.
THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WI-FI HOTSPOT AT A GLANCE.
- High-speed LTE Internet connection
- Best network coverage
- Top-quality reception
- Wireless link for up to 10 devices
- Unlimited surfing – throughout Europe, incl. Switzerland
- Gratis trial month
- Online cancellation possible on a monthly basis
- Easy initialization
FAQ: THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS CONCERNING THE WI-FI HOTSPOT.
What is a Wi-Fi Hotspot?
The Wi-Fi Hotspot is the wireless Internet access point in your BMW, which, in combination with the permanently installed SIM card, enables a fast and secure (usually fee-based) Internet connection. After all, particularly when you are on the move, a good Internet connection makes life considerably easier.
What requirements do I have to fulfil for the Wi-Fi Hotspot?
The service is available in BMW models built from May 2016 onwards with the optional equipment "Telephony with Wireless Charging" and "Wi-Fi Hotspot".
How does Wi-Fi work in a BMW?
The service is available in BMW models built from May 2016 onwards with the optional equipment "Telephony with Wireless Charging" and "Wi-Fi Hotspot" via which your mobile device is able to establish a wireless link with the vehicle. The SIM card integrated into the vehicle as standard then establishes the connection to the Internet. This means you are able to surf, work or stream quickly without any additional effort.
How fast is the Internet connection in a BMW?
Depending on the reception situation, the Wi-Fi hotspot enables an Internet connection with LTE speed.
How good is the network coverage in a BMW?
The Wi-Fi Hotspot uses the mobile telephony network of Deutsche Telekom AG and therefore offers the best possible network coverage in Germany.
Can I surf faster with the Wi-Fi Hotspot than with a smartphone?
The Wi-Fi Hotspot uses the external aerial of the vehicle and, compared with smartphones that have to transmit from inside the vehicle, therefore provides a considerably better reception and hence more stable connection – even when the vehicle is travelling at high speeds.
How do I set up the Wi-Fi Hotspot?
- To activate the WLAN hotspot, please use the following link to the Hotspot Drive portal of Deutsche Telekom AG https://www.hotspotdrive.com. Please register once and select the desired subscription or take advantage of the free trial month without registering. After you have completed the activation on the Deutsche Telekom AG portal, go to the vehicle menu and select the item “Communication” > “Mobile Devices” or “Manage Mobile Devices” > “Settings”.
- Tick the box next to “Internet Hotspot”, or “Wi-Fi” and “Internet Access” (varies according to vehicle).
- In the ConnectedDrive menu, go to “Mobile Devices” > “Connect New Device” > „Internet-Hotspot“ or “Internet, Apps via Wi-Fi Hotspot” The display will show you the name of the hotspot and the hotspot WiFi code (WPA key).
- Look for the name of the WiFi network with your mobile wireless device. Entering the WiFi code (WPA key) will connect your device with the WiFi network.
- From now on, your mobile device will connect automatically and you will be able to enjoy the high-speed Internet connection of the Wi-Fi Hotspot.
How long does the data contract run for the Wi-Fi Hotspot?
You can terminate the data usage contract for the Wi-Fi Hotspot with Deutsche Telekom AG on a monthly basis.
Can I use the Wi-Fi Hotspot abroad?
You can use your selected data tariff in Europe, including Switzerland, without incurring any additional costs. Extended tariff options are available to allow you to use your tariff option without any additional costs in Andorra, South Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
What tariff options are available?
The provider, Deutsche Telekom AG, offers various plans and add-on options, which are updated on a daily basis and can be viewed on www.hotspotdrive.com. There are currently five plans with data volumes ranging from 1 GB to 50 GB.